12.1.10

How Tammy Lost 142 Pounds!

From LOSING IT! With Jillian Michaels

Monday, January 11, 2010

Today I'm sharing the story of one my rock stars, Tammy! Just the other day she told me that she celebrated the two-year anniversary of the start of her health journey. She set her mind to losing weight back then and I've been so proud of her and impressed by her amazing results ever since. In fact, I even selected her as one of my Challenge winners two years ago. Now, she's now down 142 pounds from her starting weight! But she had to start somewhere — just like you.

Just over two years ago, Tammy was going through a rough patch. Her husband asked for a divorce and she questioned whether she was really happy. She made a list of what she really wanted her life to look like. She wrote down everything that came to mind; nothing was too big or too little. It included everything from "Go back to college and finish my nursing degree," to "Dare to have my beautician cut my hair with a razor instead of scissors." She carried that list around with her all of December and at the end of the month, she looked at all the things she'd written down and reevaluated her life. She decided to start with two items: a large change and a small one. On January 5, she had her hair cut with a razor and she began her weight-loss journey. This is where the story gets really good!


Once I'd joined JillianMichaels.com and spent a few minutes browsing the site, I felt as though a weight had been lifted from my shoulders. I had tried to lose weight on my own countless times throughout my life, but I'd always failed. Jillian's approach made sense. Weight loss is a simple math equation: calories in, calories out. You had to burn more calories than you ate. Simple. Not easy, but simple.

When I first began my journey, I followed Jillian's online program pretty strictly. I worked out five days a week with, two rest days, used her circuit training from the site, and followed her suggested calorie limit; I also kept a diary of my food intake each day. In addition, I used Jillian's DVDs. In the beginning, I was ashamed of my size and very self-conscious about being in a gym with other people. I joined a 24-hour gym and would workout between midnight and 2 a.m. to increase my chances of being alone in the gym. After following this routine for four months, I decided to change to a gym that offered classes. I soon discovered that not only did I not care what other people thought (or whether they might be watching me), I actually enjoyed working out with people around. Their presence helps push me further in my workouts and keeps me moving when I'd rather stop.

Then in April 2009, it was announced that I was the winner of Jillian's New Year Challenge, and I learned that Jillian would be coming to my home to spend the day with me and give me a one-on-one training session. My upcoming day with Jillian kept me motivated and on the right path. Having had the opportunity of a lifetime to spend the day with the person I respect and admire most in this world continues to be what drives me to reach my goal. Having said that, I realize that not everyone has the same situations or opportunities I was blessed with, but find whatever it is that encourages you — something you can strive toward or look forward to. Focus your sights on that goal and keep moving forward. I recently ran my first 5K race with seven dear friends who have come to feel more like family to me. But it's the little, everyday things that most people take for granted that have made such a difference to me. I can climb stairs and not lose my breath. At home, I can lean over the bathtub to bathe a baby, cut the lawn without stopping, tie my shoes with ease, and scratch the center of my back. When I go shopping, I can find something that fits me in any store. On an airplane, I can easily buckle the seat belt and have to tighten it. Also, for the first time in my life, I can cross my legs at the knees, not only at the ankles.

No comments: